Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Southwestern egg rolls with avocado ranch

I found this recipe here and tweaked it for my family.

 First I made some egg roll wrappers from scratch.

2-2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup ice water
1/4 water

Sift flour in to bowl. In a separate bowl beat egg with salt. Stir in the 1/4 cup water, add this to the flour along with 1/4 of your ice water. Stir in as much of the ice water as you need to form a sticky dough. Knead for 5 minutes, I ended up adding more flour because it was just too sticky to work with. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Knead dough for a minute again, and cut in half. Separate each half in to 12 pieces of dough. Roll out as thin as you can get them, again I had to add more flour. I used my pasta press, which made it easier but it still takes awhile!
 This was as thin as I dared get my egg roll dough!

Filling
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-9 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry with paper towel
2 cups shredded cheese of your choice, I used cheddar because it's what I had.
1-7oz can diced green chilies, drained
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients together and fill your wrappers. I stuffed mine full!  Roll up your wrappers making sure to tuck the ends in, wet the seam and this will help keep it closed. Place on pan and spray the tops with non-stick spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes flipping once. We decided that next time I will add some shredded chicken, beef, pork, or even tuna fish.
Avocado ranch dipping sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 Tbs buttermilk
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 green onion, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. A and B wouldn't eat the egg rolls, even though A did try them, but they LOVED the sauce! A asked if she could lick her plate off. :)

1 comment: