Monday, January 2, 2012

Enchilada's

Tonight we had enchilada's from the freezer. :) When I make a meal like enchiladas, lasagna, or teriyaki chicken the recipe is usually too much for our little family of 4 so I split it in half and freeze half of it. It makes it nice to have a stock in the freezer for a busy week or a week when we don't have as much money for groceries.

Enchilada's
1 small can tomato paste (I haven't figured out how to make this yet....)
2 cups water
Enchilada sauce mix ( I use 2 heaping tsp for ours)
Tortillas (haven't found a good way to make these yet either....We buy a big pack of 30 from Sam's club)
Ground beef, pork, or turkey (I do about a pound and it makes enough for 2 meals for us.)
Beans (if you like, I didn't have any on hand this time but usually like them as a filler.)
Corn (also if you like, I enjoy it again as a filler, and extra veggies to sneak in to the hubs.)
Cheese of your choice (we usually use chedder because we always have it!)

Mix tomato paste, water and mix in pan and simmer for 10 min. This is enough sauce for 1 batch of enchilada's at our house. I do not freeze the sauce with my enchilada's, I find that it makes the tortilla's too soggy. While that simmers fill tortillas with meat, beans, corn, and cheese. You can add sauce in as well if you like, but my kids prefer just cheese and sometimes beans. Wrap up burrito style. Pour a little sauce into bottom of 9x13 pan. Place as many "burritos" as you need in pan, I usually get 10 or more from 1 pound of meat, if I add beans and corn then I can get more. Pour the rest of your sauce over the "burritos" and top with chesse. Bake in 350 degree F oven until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes or so. Enjoy! We ate ours with our home canned dilly beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment